It’s hard to believe, but unfortunately, break-ins and package theft are on the rise during this time of year. The most effective preventative measure in avoiding burglary is a security system, which can reduce the risk of break-in by up to 90%.
We have compiled a list of tips for those who may be travelling, or away from home over the winter:
- Do not put your travel plans on social media, as you may be tipping off thieves
- Ask a trusted friend or family member to watch your house while you are away
- Leave a light on if you are away, as empty houses are perceived as easy targets (Check out Liberty’s Smart Home products to control your lights from wherever you are)
- If external holiday lights are run through a window or door, this crack can be seen as a point of entry for a would-be burglar
- Request a signature for your deliveries, so packages cannot be left on your doorstep. Alternatively, schedule deliveries for a time you will be home, or pick packages up from a local drop-off point
Liberty offers 24/7 monitoring of your home, and in the case of a break-in or emergency, will alert the authorities. Want to find out even more ways Liberty can keep your home safe over the holidays? Call 1-866-926-7233 or visit Liberty Security for your free quote today.
Here is an additional list of household tips to increase awareness of potential hazards over the holidays:
- Keep sidewalks and steps shovelled and de-iced to prevent slips and falls
- Ensure lights strung outdoors are lights meant for outdoor use, additionally, follow the label for the number of light sets that can be connected end-to-end
- Any lights that have cracked bulbs, frayed cords, or loose connections should be thrown out
- Turn off all lights when you go to bed
- Christmas trees should be kept away from heat sources, and should not block doorways.
- Ensure that live trees are well watered throughout the holiday season. If a tree has dried out, it poses a greater fire hazard.
- Having a working fire extinguisher in the case of a fire as the risk is increased at this time of year is helpful
- Keep ladder safety in mind when putting up lights outdoors, or hanging ornaments
- Any candles should be placed on a stable surface, away from curtains and other flammable items, and out of the reach of pets and children. Do not leave any candles lit in rooms you are not in.
- Ensure that heating appliances are plugged directly into an outlet rather than using an extension cord, and that the wires are not frayed.
- Do not overload outlets; only use one extension cord, and do not connect extension cords
- Holiday plants like poinsettias, holly, and mistletoe can be toxic for pets
Written by Victoria Etheridge