Request a Quote


Request a Quote

Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

Four people were transported to hospital in critical condition last night following exposure to Carbon Monoxide in a southeast Edmonton home. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless toxic gas. It is referred to as the silent killer, because it is not easily detected and has been known to quietly seep into the house and take people’s lives.

Turn Off Appliances When Not In Use

If you have an appliance in your house that runs off of gas, such as your stove or oven, you need a carbon monoxide detector. Once you’re done baking in the oven or using your gas stove, turn the appliances off right away. Many people become overwhelmed with Carbon Monoxide due to simply forgetting to turn off their oven. Remember- never use your gas oven to heat your home!

Even an attached garage with a car left idling can pose serious health risks or prove fatal if unnoticed. We’ve all heard the horror stories of people dying due to the emissions from their vehicles, so it is important to be cautious and not become another statistic. If you must keep your car running, be sure to keep it outside the garage or car port. Always pull your car out of the enclosed space if you need to let it idle.

Invest in a Monitored Carbon Monoxide Detector

Most home security systems now provide Carbon Monoxide detection as part of their packages. Having this monitored for you can alert you when levels become too high in your home, and can also alert the paramedics if you become unconscious and cannot call 911 for assistance. Placing multiple detectors throughout your home ensures that your family can be notified no matter which room they’re in.

Carbon Monoxide cannot be seen like physical threat or heard like an intruder. So take a stand and protect your family from this silent killer; take preventative steps to stop inhalation, put in plenty of detectors, and ask your security company to install a Carbon Monoxide Monitoring system in your home.

Written by Alex Watz

Stay Connected

More Updates